Friday, December 18, 2009

Highs and Lows

I forgot to write about something the day that we found out we were having a girl. Well after we left the doctor's office, Alan and I went to lunch and I took him back to work. He ended up picking up the kids for me and when he dropped them off he said, "I need to talk to you." The way he looked and sounded, didn't sound good and to be completely honest, just about scared me. I thought something had happened at the school, like he had caught Darian kissing and making out with her boyfriend, or seen Joshie doing something with his friends, I had no idea, but these thoughts, and others were racing through my head.
So he takes me into his office and he says to me, "Vermeer (the parent company) has said they would loan vssw (Alan's company) the $1.5 mil dollars we've been needing, but they said, the only way they'd do that, is if I resign." They wanted Alan out of his own company!!! What?? I couldn't understand how they could do that. He had gone to the parent company for some financial help and to help them re-distribute some of their machinery, and this was their solution for him and for his company--for him to resign? It just didn't make any sense, and I told Alan, I thought there was something else behind their reason for not wanting him there anymore. He was in shock and was on the verge of tears, I could tell. I didn't know what to say. It was like a death in the family, you know you should say something, but don't know quite what to say. I mean, what do you say to a man who's built up a company for 20 years, brought in all his own people to be the best the company can be, and then this? I couldn't see how Vermeer couldn't see that Arizona and Nevada have been the hardest hit in this recession and those are our two main offices. How could they want him to give all this up that he's worked so hard for?
The people that own the parent company of Vermeer are a strange breed. They work, work, work, and put lots, if not all the money they make back into the company, and they think everyone else should do the same. We aren't them, and we don't do it as much as they did, but Alan did put $1.5 mil back into his company to help sustain it for a long time. But the times we did take money out of the company, we were doing great, we were doing like, $10 mil. So taking some of the profits we earned and putting it into the house we were building wasn't such a strange thing to do at the time. But Vermeer looks at it as being irresponsible. Irresponsible? I don't think so. Alan has a Controller who oversees all the money, and he would have told Alan if it was the wrong thing to do, that's just Kyle, he is amazing at what he does. But then the economy took a nosedive and here we are. I mean, who was to know that it would have been like this? No one. And Vermeer has said to Alan, he should have known better. They aren't freakin' fortune tellers and neither are we.
So, we'll see what Vermeer ends up doing with Alan's company. I think they're up to something. Something they didn't want Alan to be a part of. Alan keeps thinking, he shouldn't have done this or that, but I tell him, he can't beat himself up about it, how was he supposed to know the very people that should have helped him, are the ones who stabbed him in the back?
So my post of all of this had to do with the high in the morning that we both had, knowing we were having a little baby girl, then at two in the afternoon, Alan's whole world had collapsed on top of his head. I felt so bad for him. I have to just keep reminding him that there's a reason for this, even though we may not know it or be able to see why, there's a reason. God has a plan for us, and it's a plan that's much better than the one we could envision for ourselves. God doesn't waste pain, I truly believe that.

No comments:

Post a Comment