Wednesday, June 24, 2009

No Flippin' Idea


I got a letter in the mail a few weeks ago (yes, I'm a little late posting, sorry). Anyway, the letter is from the kids' school, but it's regarding my little OD. The school is letting me know that there has been a change in his eyesight since August of 2008 to May of 2009. So, I take him to the eye doctor and doc tells me that his right eye is fine, it's 20/20, his left eye, on the other hand is at 20/150!!! WTF??? How does this happen without me knowing?? I asked the doc, why would OD not have told me? Doctor says, because he (OD) didn't know any better, to him, it's "normal." So after I get all of this horrible news, alot of things start making sense, his lack of being able to hit the ball exceptionally well, like he's exceptional at everything else in baseball, but he has no depth perception, he's having to turn his head more to the left, so he can see the ball coming with his right eye (because he's a righty), although, he's always trying to hit lefty, and that's probably why, because he can see the ball with his right eye, therefore, he can see it coming towards him. He doesn't like 3D movies, because he doesn't even see the things coming at him. So anyway, the "therapy" for now, is him wearing an eye patch over his good eye and glasses with somewhat of a prescription for his left eye. He has to only wear it for two hours a day, and only at home, which is a relief. He has to do things like play video games, (bummer for a kid, I know), color in a coloring book, thread beads or cheerios onto a piece of yarn or string, just so he can start getting that left eye stronger. Let's hope and pray that it starts helping to heal that eye that never started seeing on its own.

No comments:

Post a Comment